CIT Director Job Description
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced Camp Counsellor who is looking for a new role at Summer Camp. The CIT Director role is a leadership role at Camp Cooper - you will also be assisting with all aspects of running Camp.
Our CIT programme is a leadership development programme for 17 & 18 years olds who are looking to gain valuable life-skills and learn how to be a great youth worker and Camp Counsellor. Full information on the CIT Programme can be found here.
The CIT Director is a role model, leader and mentor to the CITs. They need to be able to build strong relationships with 17 & 18 year olds and teach them key skills and ensure the CIT progamme is developmental and fun.
The CIT director will be solely responsible for running a training week for the CITs, based around the Camp Cooper staff training. Training sessions include sessions on:
- An introduction to Camp Cooper
- How to be a Superhero Counselor
- How to inspire creativity
- Learning campfire & dining hall songs
- The importance of praise / positive feedback
- How to deal with challenging behaviour
- How to deal with homesickness
- Site tour
- How to run events
- Teambuilding / icebreaker games
The CIT Director will then oversee the CITs when they are placed in elective activities and cabin groups, offering feedback and praise.
The CIT Director will also assist the Programme Director in running some of our All-Camp events, using the CITs to help lead the events when necessary.
Candidates must demonstrate the following skills and characteristics:
- Experience working directly with groups of young people aged 7-17
- Experience working as a Camp Counsellor at Camp Cooper or a traditional American summer camp
- Have or willing to obtain a first aid certificate
- Fluent in English
- Abillity to be a positive role model for young people
- Ability to lead trainng sessions
- Experience of working in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Maturity to be responsible for the care, well-being and safety of young people
- Experience of working with young people from a range of nationalities
- Applicant must successfully pass full background and reference checks
- Applicant must be available to work the duration of the Camp, including staff training.
- Staff get 1 day off per week, scheduled by the Camp
- The salary for working at Camp is £2400. This includes room and board (the salary is subject to all normal UK taxes - e.g. PAYE and National Insurance Contributions)
Summer Employment Dates (including staff training):
Start Date: Monday June 26th, 2017 (2pm)
End Date: Saturday August 19th, 2017 (6pm)
These dates includes a mandatory 6-day staff training period.